My Sweet and Sour Chicken, Carl’s all time favourite from my repertoire! I haven’t made it in a long time because I don’t like deep frying. No, I’m not that healthy, just don’t like a greasy kitchen. Anyway here is my rendition of the classic Chinese dish. Hope you like it just as much.
1 capsicum cut to chunks
1/2 Lebanese cucumber cut to chunk
3/4 cup pineapple pieces
3 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 brown onion cut in cubes
4-5 chicken thigh fillets
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2 tsp vinegar
11/2 tsp sugar OR 1 tbsp syrup from tinned pineapples
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp Shao Xing wine
1 tsp white pepper
1/2-1/3 cup water
oil for deep frying
cornflour or (half cornflour and half plain flour)
2 eggs beaten
chopped spring onions for garnish
- Cut chicken thigh fillets into cubes and dip it in egg and then coat it in cornflour and deep fry till golden brown. Drain the oil and set chicken aside.
- Heat 4 tbsp of oil in wok/pan. Can use deep frying oil if you like. Add chopped onions and garlic and stir fry till fragrant. Next add capsicum pieces and toss for about 1 minute.
- Next, add the soy sauce, tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce, vinegar, sugar OR syrup and 1/2 cup of water and mix well till boiling.
- Add the pineapple pieces, chicken, pepper and sesame oil. Make sure you coat the pieces of chicken well with the sauce. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Lastly, add the cucumber chunks and Shao Xing cooking wine and toss well for about 2-3 minutes until evenly mixed.
- Your sweet and sour chicken is now ready to serve. Garnish with spring onions and serve with steamed rice.