Hi everyone. Here is the Ayam masak merah (red cooked chicken or chicken in red chilli sauce) recipe as promised. It’s a spicy and slightly sweet dish made with a nice sambal like paste and a few extra spices.
1/2 kg chicken thigh fillets cut into chunky pieces
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp flour
pinch of white pepper
- Coat the chicken pieces evenly with all the ingredients and set aside.
1 onion roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
5 red chillies
1 tbsp cumin
- Place all ingredients in blender, mixer or food processor and blend till it becomes a paste.
5 tbsp tomato paste
2 cloves garlic – minced
4 cardamom pods
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbsp honey
1/2 cup water
pinch of salt
1 onion sliced in rings (optional)
- Shallow fry chicken pieces till golden brown, drain oil and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil to a heated pan and fry off clove, cardamom, star anise and cinnamon till fragrant. Be careful the clove and cardamom pods might pop.
- Add chilli paste and fry for about 1 minute or till fragrant.
- Add all other ingredients and chicken then mix well.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until thickened. If it thickens too fast, reduce the heat further and add a little water as needed.
- Serve with steamed rice or nasi lemak.